Wednesday, July 22, 2009

From Babe to Behenji

Looking back I think most of my time in college ( and outside it too ) was spent warding of all the guys who were interested in me. Most of them were a pain in the you know where. It's funny how the guys you really like are never interested in you and the ones you wouldn't even give a second look are smitten by you.
Anyways the point I am trying to get at is that as soon as the word of my marriage got around I was off the hook . I for myself heaved a huge sigh of relief. It was finally goodbye to all the roadside romeos,to all the guys who were friends with me only because they thought they stood a chance .. to all the sideward glances (read ogling ). I was finally free. Committed and free :)
I could now laugh loud at my guy friends jokes without wondering if I am giving them any wrong signals.It was so much easier to ask for a ride back home now.If I saw eveteasers in the bay all I had to do was flash my mangalsutra. Life was suddenly hassle free.
I know for a lot of my girlfriends this transition from babe to behenji isn't easy.It is only human (rather woman) to miss all the attention.It's not easy to sit and hear your guy friends talk about all the hot girls in office(knowing no one else anywhere is talking abou you).
Infact I would be lying if I said I do not miss the attention a little bit myself.Actually I am still subjected to a lot of harmless flirting even today much to my husband's anguish .As much as i like it though I wonder why guys (most of them younger) do it.My guess is for them this is easy practice. Ladies imagine all those guys who stammered and stuttered when they were trying to strike a conversation or say something nice to you in college.Imagine if they had this person who was married ,older and friendly on whom they could practice all the lines.That sure would have made your life a little more interesting.So I guess I am their guinea pig.If I laugh at their joke the girl (or girls) of their dream will laugh too.So all the committed women out there beware .Next time someone walks upto you and says you look good with your hair open , don't let the memories of this piece ruin your moment. Bask in the glory and make sure you tell your husband/boyfriend about it :)

2 comments:

  1. LOL... I liked it thoroughly esp. "easy practice" concept if I can call it a concept...

    ReplyDelete