Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Women's liberation

Everytime we invite people over for dinner the first thing I and my husband do is to sit down and decide the menu.The second thing we do is argue!!
We somehow always disagree on the number of items on the menu . I of course like the menu to be fancy with at least one kind of snack with an elaborate dinner to follow.My husband's insists that we keep it simple.According to him we invite people over to spend time with them and not to show off my culinary skills.He thinks I want to do this to impress my guests.(I think he has seen he twinkle in my eye after one of those highly successful events )
There is a lot of truth in what he says but men don't understand the kind of pressures we are under.For them the most hassle free way out over a situation is to take this view.To pretend that they don't care what the world thinks of them or what they expect from them(The truth is that they are not the ones who get the credit in the end).
Now that is something that I don't agree.I refuse to believe (and know so too) that men are holier than thou( if it was their boss coming home it would be totally different story).But there is some truth to my dear husband's theory .Maybe sometimes we do tend to go over the top(ok most times ).I know every time I go to someone's place for dinner I am thinking "oh she made three curries" ..How do I beat that ? ..They got desert from outside huh ..I always makes deserts at home (This is when I am swelling with pride)". I can' help worrying about when I should invite them next..I start going through the menu mentally.
My husband meanwhile is licking his fingers and going on about how great the food is(This is the point when I want to hit him ).I so wish men could see our point of view.
I think men and women two totally different views of life programmed.Men have the simplistic view.While women have the elaborate complicated diagram with lots of relationships ..lot of intricacies.. All of them intertwined together..
What does this mean though ?.Does this mean we women are smarter(I would like to think so)? Or are we devious,foxy and duplicitious. I wouldn't like to believe so.. I guess we are conditioned to think that way .. We burden ourselves with all the expectations that we assume are set(In most cases by other women) ..and that if we do try we can get rid of them ..Now that is what I would call Women's liberation.

1 comment:

  1. I like the womens lib angle to it. But I think its human nature not just female nature. men go thru similar things they are just not sensitive and eloquent enough to realise and express it!
    this whole world is about one up manship hopefully ina nice non malicious way. and as long as its that, i am up for it. Makes life fun and then the fringe benefits of getting to hog on great food.

    ReplyDelete