Monday, July 27, 2009

I once attended a business etiquette class where I was told that it is proper to say hi to people in the corridor in office and smile at them (Right after this gyan you are told how great the Americans are and how good they are at their hi's and hello's ). As far as I am concerned I don't mind the hi or the smile.Doesn't really come naturally to me I have to say but then most things don't and it's not too much of an effort.
What I can't do though is stretch beyond the hi.You know how it starts.You say hi and the other person says "hi how are you doing?" . Like the robot in one of those terminator movies I find myself saying "I am doing good (How cool does that sound) how are you ?" . It's stylish to say good good when the question comes back to you they tell me.Now all this is just fine you would say,mere pleasantries.But I would really like it if one avoided these.You know like the smile should imply everything - I am doing good (Like I would tell YOU if I were doing crappy ) I am sure you are doing good too(If you are not I really don' care).I think life would be much simpler then.Cause how are you may lead to How was your weekend or what are you doing this weekend.I know there are people out there whose social lives are defined by these chance conversations with almost strangers.They probably head out to the coffee area practicing those lines(One of those people invented Wazzup I am sure).But me no I know I have told everyone I cared to what I did for the weekend.No I don't like to share my private life with everyone and anyone.and No this does not classify as small talk.This is like ab bachke kaha jaogey and the questions just keep coming.It's like you are obligated to talk.To tell them how your life is going or why you look so dull or from where you bought that new dress from and what you think about Arushi's murder.
Since I have an acute dislike for people who do this to you ( By now it is just stating the obvious I guess ), I have a knack of spotting them right on.I lurk in the corridor till I know I am out of danger before I can get into the coffee room.I know there are people who thrive on these conversations.People who can talk to people in trains,buses,planes(Not too many people traveling in ships I must to say). Now don't get me wrong here.I am not saying there is anything wrong with these people or you if you are one of them but me I would like to hide behind a book in the bus,train or plane.
You must be wondering where I am getting to with all this.Nowhere really.I just wrote this while I was waiting for "one of those " to leave the coffee room.

1 comment:

  1. this kind of small talk esp in the mornings is just not my cup of tea. As it is my processor takes a few hours longer to boot up completely, the last thing i want is to answer inane questions like whats up??! and thankfully for me I am in the line where people are not expected to be eloquent! the more socially inept you are the better they think your potential is :)

    ReplyDelete