Monday, August 24, 2009

The agony of a modern Indian woman

I did not become a career woman by choice.The way I see it ,there was no choice.It was never an option.I knew I had to do it.
I think it was my mother who instilled that in me.Growing up I did what everyone else does.I appeared for engineering entrance exams after I finished school.When that didn't work out I looked at other options.IT was big then and that is where I wanted to be.Everyone else was on the same path and I was no maverick.
While I was finishing my grueling final term in college, I got placed in a reputed IT firm.
So working for an IT firm was just the natural progression after a post graduate in Computer Science.So I don't think I ever had to make the choice of whether or not to work.It was like it was meant to be.
It doesn't really hit you till you get married though.It is like stepping into the real world all over again(This time it is as real as it gets).
As a woman you carry immense baggage.Sometimes without even knowing it.
You want to be the perfect daughter in law,the perfect wife,the perfect daughter.You also want to prove it to everyone in office that marriage changes nothing.You are determined to prove that you are as focused and dedicated as before.Too many balls in the air.
Your ability to multitask is put to test day in and day out.You have to take on so much more.Whereas for the guy nothing really changes(Unless you are the kind of guy who has never bought veggies and groceries).
There is so much talk about how a guy loses his freedom and how he has to listen to everything his wife says (Yeah sure ), but nothing at all about what a woman sacrifices.Nothing about how difficult the juggling act is for her.How it is a struggle everyday to do the balancing act.
Lest you protest or complain ,you are told you have the choice to quit.That if you are not up to the challenge(the one you bestowed upon yourself ),you can surrender.
As a woman you are conditioned to believe that it is your duty to take care of the family.You are brainwashed so much so that you even take pride in it.Handing over the brief case and wallet every morning to your husband when he leaves for office(Preceded with breakfast in bed of course) ,makes a perfect picture.
Here we are in the 21st century with women going for the moon and we still believe that the onus on running the house is on the woman.That if there are sacrifices to be made for the family it is the woman who takes the back step.
If you don't you are accused of being over ambitious,Of putting your needs first,Of being self centered,Of being career oriented.
I have a very supportive husband.He helps me around the house and is never very demanding.
One would say he has come a long way from the men of previous generations.He prides in being the modern man.Someone who is supportive of his wife's career.People around me never miss a chance to ell me how lucky I am to have him
(Almost accusingly).I am expected to be grateful.
This is the point where my agony starts.If we are equal then why do I have to be grateful and why does my husband become supportive if all he is doing is his share of work(Less on most times).
My husband says that a part of the problem lies in trying to be the superwoman.That I should not worry too much about what society thinks,that maybe I should not try to do the balancing act,that I should come out in the open and say that my job is very important to me.That I will not sacrifice anything and that I do not want to be the perfect wife,daughter or daughter in law.
I guess I can take that road but what If I want to have it all.Why cannot we redefine what a perfect wife is,what a perfect daughter in law is or what a perfect homemaker is.
Why won't the society make it easier for me.Ease my burden.End my dilemma.
Isn't it high time that we bend the rules and make room for the modern career woman in our society.
Let the agony end.Let the liberalization begin.

16 comments:

  1. it is smth that every working married woman feels:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably u won't believe if i say,..THAT IS EXACTLY THE TURMOIL INSIDE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Its just perfect. That is just how it is.

    Wonderfully put into words. Please tell ur friend I support her :D....This is what my friend (married) told me after reading your article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly I don`t agree the women who sits at home and takes care of your family is anyway less modern than someone whoz working is. On the contrary the woman who by her choice is contend with sitting at home and she derives happiness by serving brefast and handing him a breifacse is much more succssful tha a woman who go to job just coz she has to be a mordern woman.

    And just because a woman went to moon , all "21 st century " women should come ou of theri homes is incorrect analogy

    So basically its about choice, though the problems which you have mentioned are real and will take couple of genrations to deal with that "perfect" tag. But I think onus of that lies in women like you, you are the one who is going to bring that change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Prathibha`s post..

    I`ll just say...it is an epitome of "uniting against a common enemy"

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just perfect woman. :) so does pratibha...
    Only species in the world that can write tones of lines on how good is marriage(babe2bhenji), how nice to have babies(your forthcoming blog), also very careful about career and still manage to complain about everything that makes her complete(husband) , everything that gives her identity(job) ;is woman.

    Nobody forces woman to be perfect except woman(mom,didi,sasu-ma..etc etc) , Dont you think so?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guys first of all here I am just trying to state the challenges that a working woman faces.. I don't mean to demean women who don't work at all.They have their own set of challenges.
    Also I am not really complaining against my loving husband or others around me.I am merely stating the truth.
    I do agree the onus is on me ..on all of us..to bring out a change.. This was meant to be thought provoking .. I guess I have managed to do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prashant there is no enemy here .. I am just asking for a little understanding .. drawing attention to my cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knw...but why I said it was that...you make any woman read ur piece and in all propapbility she will agree... why? just coz its against men...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I risk sounding chauvnist, but that is a risk I am willing to take. I hear these sentiments from lots of women (married and unmarried) - women do more, men do less.. yada.. yada.. yada.. I say, Not really, everyone does their bit.
    Media stereotypes men into fat lazy slobs who sit at home watching TV ordering the women around. This couldn't be far from the "modern" truth. I know for a fact that men do their bit to keep a home running. Whether it is helping the missus cut veggies for the meal or odd jobs around the house playing the role of Mr. Fixit.
    The problem in role division, it seems is because running a home is wrongly equated to just a couple of activities like "Cooking" and "Cleaning". Women do a great job here, sometimes without any help from the gents, but very often with their support. In the age of the 21st century, it would be wrong to stereotype gender roles. Instead of fixing the issues, it would just further the gap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, first of all way to go mugdha, this blog seems to be flourishing :)
    second of all, I am not sure if i am equipped to comment as a married woman (well tachnically I am but since I am away from a lot of family drama, I could not have possibly faced the same acid test as some of my counter parts have!) but as every woman I have my take on it and here it goes...

    I think to a greater extent problem comes from when we seek approval and want to live by standards put for us, so to a big extent I do agree with ashvin if he says make your own definitions of a good xyz. That is what is more liberating that anything else, and thats what is true liberation. As long as you expect society to do it for you, you can not possibly claim to be liberated. It is like DDLJ scene of amrish puri telling " ja simran ja ...." and the hero and father in law all set to welcome with open arms! ok I guess I digress but I still feel that if things have got to change, we bring it with people around us. and we define how a woman (complete or otherwise! ) is perceived.
    and you know what this "complete woman" or complete life is a sham. and the concept is bu$%&/it. Life and whatever a person can be is vast, diverse and huge, nobody in one lifetime can be everything. so don't even bother. be the best person that you can be and enjoy it.

    and here I also want to write while i am at it that there are some women who in their personal ambition to be the complete modern woman really screw people around them. have seen it to happen to one of my friends and my heart bleeds for him when is wife is going around projecting her ideas onto everyone else, ingratiating herself into things that are not hers to call shots on etc etc...

    oh ho this is getting way too long for a comment, so basically what i sincerely feel is that at the end of the day we do what we feel is right or conform to our idea of perfect, we as people do not do things for others. even if it seems like its for someone else, it is just to make us ourselves feel generous or some such thing.

    ps: great reading and lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice one on the agony of modern women. I know some women going thru the same feeling :). I think that's what makes women special.
    Correct me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. dreamer said...

    I agree . We are special :)


    LOL ...
    infact ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Mugdha.. this one is straight out my heart.. at one point i felt that I had written it.. superb.. kudos to you my dear frnd.. and to all the women in this world.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. TRUE TRUE TRUE!!!!!!! but it is SAD that this is not going to change anything. i hate to say this but how ever much we write, scream, bang our heads against the wall. NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE. if a guy gets himself breakfast one morning - HE HAS WORKED. and we should be as you said thankful!!
    well.. no use ranting..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Extremely true...and just to re-affirm, it is something force-fed to us. Guys do not bother about who thinks what...so even when they are 'losing' freedom, they are not really 'losing' it. And even though our lives are 'complete', we are really just losing our freedom completely.

    ReplyDelete