Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Three characters I can't stand at work

1) Mr Loud - I am sure you all have this guy in office who thumps a few backs when he walks in.Lots of Wassups on the way...
Now I may not necessarily be working on a Rocket Science project but I like my peace.All this open cubicle culture doesn't help my cause but I wouldn't mind it so much if it were not for Mr Loud.
Now most of these people are a big hit with the rest of the group but I like people who know they are not in College anymore.I would like to believe that they are attention seekers.They have some seemingly interesting story to tell you everyday.You have to of course pretend to like it and look gracious (For making your work life so happening )There is no escaping Mr Loud.He's cracking silly jokes just when you are about to make a serious point in the meeting.He thinks he should not even spare the client.He is unabashed by your "I don't believe this guy look"(He probably thinks you are boring).Your boss ofcourse introduces him as the clown of the project.Now don't get me wrong here.I have nothing against humour.Infact I have been blessed with a decent sense of humour myself.I know when to dish them out though.The British may be uptight and the Americans very cool but do we Indians have to be silly ?

2) Beauty Queens - Now I know I am going against my own here but man have I suffered at the hands of these beauty queens.I had a TL who used to start her day by telling me about her shopping escapades.She would then want me to join her in the restroom.Were I watched her tirelessly redo her makeup.A few layers or two later I would be patiently waiting for her o bring up work.
Gone are the days when Women would knit sweaters in office.But they have been replaced by women who do makeup in office (rest-room for those who are a stickler for details) , who go to the beauty parlor between breaks , who are dressed to kill when they come to office (A lot of hard work goes into maintaining the look throughout the day).They usually hang in groups.Scores of them around.They give you that look every morning and some are bold enough to tell you that it wouldn't hurt to be more fashionable.I think I am pretty hep but office is the last place I would dress up for.
I am sure you will argue that guys talk about cricket and shares all the time in office.But it doesn't consume them.When do we break free?


3) I am here for the free phone - If you are a faithful reader of this blog you would know that I am addicted to my phone.I do call people from work , in between breaks.I make sure I don't punish my neighbor.My neighbor ofcourse may not necessarily be that kind.I have had people sitting around me who are in LOOOve.They have to be talking to their sweetheart all day.So if you have to go to them with any work related issues you have to feel guilty about disturbing the love birds.As you approach ,the person on line is put on hold.So you know you don't have 100 % attention to begin with.There is this urgency to get back to the call which you callously walked in on.Secondly you suddenly realize the other person is listening in (Talk about data security breaches ).So you quickly walk away resolving to write a mail instead next time.What is even more irritating is , if you have to listen to these conversations.From good morning sweetheart till I am starting off soon honey(Lot of ILU's in between) .I have been in lOOOve but never done that .I resorted to sms.More private I now realize.Such people though have a lot of support.Young people in love sooo sweet.Makes my blood boil for sure!!


If you are in IT ,you will be familiar with these characters and hopefully sympathize with me.(Assuming you are not one of them)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...I think there shd be another group for worriers...u know...who worry about getting firing all the time...there always have to be a few of these in every team....but suprisingly i dont see a lot of mr loud aroung, n i dunno any queens too..I think I could be a good mr loud if i really wanted to...lol...ive quietened down over the past couple of yrs but i think i could do an entertaining job if required..:)...i like mr loud, and wish ma team had a better one...lol

    ReplyDelete